Saturday, I had one of those days where, because I had nothing concrete planned, and so many options, I had difficulty committing to anything. This led me to actually complete a project I've been meaning to do for awhile–recovering the seat of a chair. After completing it, it's rather embarrassing how long it's taken me. If you've never done this, it's really easy. The subject in question was a chair I acquired at an estate sale in my hometown before leaving for the big city (or, the suburbs of Bethesda, MD) and my first apartment. It's a cute Gustavian sort of chair that serves so little purpose in my bedroom other than holding discarded clothing. But, that is neither here nor there. At some point, I am planning to use it as a desk chair (which I did at one point when I had a desk). I had originally recovered it in a nice purple jacquard. However, I was tired of that. I decided to recover with leftover fabric from my shelf project.
Here is the chair seat and chair as I started to remove the existing fabric.
And here's the ORIGINAL fabric, which I left on for posterity.
As it turns out, the bed is a less than ideal workbench. So, I moved it to the living room and my bench. Tip of the day: if it has bench in the name, it will be a better workbench. I wrapped the seat with 2 thin layers of poly batting that I also had hanging around. This is for cushiness. You could also add a layer of foam to the top, but not too much or the fabric won't lay properly.
The process of applying the batting and fabric couldn't be less complicated. Wrap, make sure it's taut, and then staple the heck out of it. If you have stripes, just make sure they're aligned. I love my staple gun. It's a very gratifying activity. Here is the finished chair.
Voila! I may paint the chair at some point, or not. I haven't yet because I don't like to paint furniture (and haven't had much success with it…), but you know you'll be the first to hear about it if I do.